Related Photo Galleries
The lifters didn’t fit when we tried to install them. The only explanation we can think of is that when the block was in the shot abrader, the lead shot may have peened over the edges of the lifter bore openings. With no time to disassemble the bottom end, we stuffed paper towels in the lifter bores and the openings in the valley and chamfered the bore openings with a deburring tool. We used a magnetic pickup tool to vacuum up the bigger slivers of iron and managed to keep the metal from falling on the camshaft. This leads us to Rookie Tech Tip No. 2: Deburr and test-fit everything before you start assembly.