Ad Radar
Car Craft
Click here to find out more!

-What's Your Problem?

The spark plug location used on the GT-40P heads isn't significantly different than traditional small-block Ford cylinder heads, but the angle of the plugs is, as you point out. This does create header fitment conflicts in some situations. From the feedback we've collected, there are some headers that just happen to fit the "P" heads, and some that don't; Internet sites seem to be a good source of information on this. Rumor has it that stock 5.0L Mustang tube headers will clear, but we haven't actually tried this ourselves. There are application-specific headers for this swap, however, available from Ford Racing and from MAC Products. We bolted a set of P heads to a '93 Mustang a couple years back, and tried both sets of shorty headers, and though the designs are different, both fit just fine. The car currently runs the Ford Racing tubes, though these are not smog-certified. Incidentally, the GT-40P heads were worth 30 hp over the stock '93 E7TE heads when used in conjunction with a Cobra intake manifold and 65mm throttle-body on an otherwise stock Mustang.

Russian Roulette, Ford StyleI have a Ford 302, casting number C8OE-6015-A, that I sent to the machine shop to be inspected and overbored. When I got it back, the crank was not the same one I had sent. The crank I got back has a casting number of 2MAE, which is an '82-'90 crank. Now I'm wondering if I can use my old flywheel and balancer. My flywheel is casting number C4AE-6375-B, though I'm not sure of the original application. I already know that the late-model balancer is a four-bolt unit while my original is a three-bolt type. I don't want to mix-match parts without being sure they are compatible, so could you tell me if these pieces can be used together, and if not, what parts I need to make this work?Thomas HollowellVicksburg, MS

The problem you're going to have is with the balancing of these engines. The Ford small-block engines are externally balanced, meaning that an imbalance in the rotating assembly is corrected with weights on the external rotating parts, specifically the harmonic balancer and the flywheel/flexplate. The early 302 and all 351W Ford engines used a 28.2-ounce/inch imbalance while later 302s, from '80-on, used a 50-ounce/inch imbalance. These parts can't be mixed and matched; they must be used in the appropriate application. The simple answer would seem to be for you to install the 50-ounce balancer and corresponding flywheel/flexplate from a later engine, but as you've noticed, Ford changed from a three-bolt pulley arrangement to a four-bolt pulley in the early '70s. This leaves you with the option of switching to a later accessory drive or using a conversion balancer. Ford engine swap specialists Total Performance offers the proper 50-oz-in three-bolt balancer, and Professional Products offers high-performance Ford small-block balancers that are drilled for both three- and four-bolt pulley patterns, plus they are available with spacers to match any of the Ford accessory-drive placements.

Fourth-Gen FattiesI have an '02 Trans Am with the WS-6 Ram Air package, and I'd like to step up to 18-inch wheels and tires. I have a complete Hotchkis suspension system on the car right now, which lowered it about an inch.

I want to use 18x9.5-inch wheels in the front with 275/35 tires and 18x10.5-inch wheels out back with 315/30s. Will this combo work? Is there any chance of fitting an 18x12 with a 335/30 tire? I'm trying to have the fourth-gen F-car with the fattest shoes. This car is really only used on weekends on good roads, so sidewall height isn't much of an issue.Kyle SundbergLake Butler, FL

Enjoyed this Post? Subscribe to our RSS Feed, or use your favorite social media to recommend us to friends and colleagues!
Car Craft