If you’re not excited about the 2013 CAR CRAFT Street Machine Nationals presented by Chevrolet Performance, we’re hoping to change your mind. We’re so enthusiastic about this event that we've added events within the event to help celebrate our return to Du Quoin, Il. This year’s Street Machine Nationals will be much more than a car show; it’ll be a car lollapalooza!
Starting on Friday, June 28th at 10am, the Du Quoin State Fairgrounds will open for participants to line-up their cars and get a prime spot to be judged. The Performance Marketplace will be open to view products and get question answered by over 30 different vendors. Comp Cams, General Motors Performance Division, QA1 Precision Products, Ridetech, RNR Wheels, Painless Performance, and Audio Visionz are just a few that will be there. Stop by and check out what they have to offer!
Continuing Saturday, June 29th will be another big day: A dyno challenge, family fun zone, super prize drawing, trivia contest, FREE Revell Make ‘N Take, Editor’s choice awards and the caravan to a local dragstrip for the 2013 CAR CRAFT Midnight Drags presented by Gear Vendors.
Sunday, June 30th will feature similar events as Saturday, but with the addition of a burnout contest, Miss Car Craft Street machine contest and the participant awards ceremony.
All of the events listed above will take place each day – so don’t worry if you miss a day. Also, throughout the weekend, Toby Brooks will be signing copies of his new book Sensory Overload. His novel covers the history of the Du Quoin Street Machine Nationals. Read more information about the paperback and purchase a copy HERE.
Toby has been instrumental for the success of reuniting long-time pro street builders for this event. All weekend there will be a meet-and-greet with the Legends of Pro Street. Top builders and their iconic cars from past nationals will be on the fairgrounds. Visit the main stage throughout the weekend to ask questions, meet the guys and to see their builds up close!
Here is a list of the builders attending the 2013 CAR CRAFT Street Machine Nationals, and according to Toby Brooks, here is what they’re up to these days:
The Legends of Pro Street
- Gary Buckles: Lives in Dayton, OH, still owns the blue pro street Camaro and works for Dayton Wheel corp.
- Rick Dobbertin: Lives in New York, recently sold Dobbertin HydroCar, and still builds cars for himself.
- Rich Gebhardt: Still builds cars, although mostly racecars from his business, Gebhardt Pro Cars, in Jacksonville, IL.
- Mark Grimes: Closed MAG Motoring in 2009. He still builds cars for himself and two sons, but owns and operates Money Handling Machines business in Omaha, NE. Grimes owns the ’65 Malibu pro street, still.
- Matt & Debbie Hay: Live in Phoenix, AZ. Matt works on Indy cars and Debbie is a youth minister.
- Al Hinds: Pro mod racer and works at a Chevy Dealership near his home in Waterloo, Ontario.
- Bob Maynard: Still lives in Dayton, OH.
- Rocky Robertson: Lives in Albers, IL where he owns and operates Robertson’s Custom Automotive. Still owns the Buick LeSabre pro street vehicle.
- Rod Saboury: Owner of a roofing contracting company in Maryland. He allegedly owns the world’s fastest street legal car and is rumored to be building new car for the show.
- Scott Sullivan: Still lives in Dayton, Ohio. Self-employed and currently building wild ’54 Chevy coupe. He owns the Cheez Whiz ’55 Chevy.
- Troy Trepanier: Owns and operates RadRides by Troy in Manteno, IL.
- Bret Voelkel: Owns RideTech. Still owns ’70 Mustang pro street, first ever air-ride equipped street machine.
We’re very eager to arrive in Du Quoin later this week. Between the weekend-long car show, midnight drags, bikini contest, and the Legend of Pro Street – it’s sure to be a weekend none of us will forget. Be sure to come to the Du Quoin, Il. Fairgrounds June 28 - 30th, bring your high-horsepower engines and show off your best chrome - this is going to be one wild ride!